More Atlanta Prison Farm

November 28, 2011

Went back to the old Atlanta Prison Farm (with a fully-charged camera battery this time) and checked out the prison buildings, which were in operation from 1945 to 1995. The roof caught fire in 2009 and the building was left to burn since it was long since abandoned by then. The lower floors are still pretty much intact but are hard to photograph due to lack of light.

I was particularly impressed by some of the graffiti we found. It was a cloudy day so the light wasn’t ideal, and I still need a decent camera, but here’s what I have so far.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Donald Crosswhite October 27, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I did a little time at this camp way back in the day, I dont recall the year. I was there for about 3 months.

Iman October 31, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Hello, I’m an explorer from New Jersey I don’t particularly have any photos I can show you of my exploring ,but I normally just look around and do a sketch or two of were ever I go Is this in dunwoody how do I get to the prison farm do I have to jump any fences ,etc?

admin November 1, 2012 at 12:07 am

It’s not in Dunwoody, it’s in East Atlanta south of I-20. No fence jumping required.

Mark Maio January 20, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I have a few questions. First let me say I am a photographer who has started doing workshops in abandoned industrial spaces. Please see the website above. I remember thirty years ago photographing inside an abandoned woman’s prison around the area you describe in this post. Is this the same place? Also, since I would like to conduct a photo workshop in the prison farm, I would need to secure permission. Do you know who owns the property?

Thanks,

Mark

admin January 21, 2013 at 9:10 am

Mark, I don’t think this is the same place – I’ve only ever seen reference to male prisoners there. There is some good historical info at atlantaprisonfarm.com.

Drewski Jru January 30, 2013 at 2:47 am

Where are some of these locations? Details please someone, I have a couple of music videos to shoot.

Jeff G. May 2, 2013 at 2:46 am

The property is located adjacent to the City of Atlanta Police Department’s SWAT training facility and they do not take kindly to trespassers. I’ve shot in the prison farm three times. The first two went without incident, but the SWAT training facility began live-fire exercises while we were on the property. The officers who stopped us as we were leaving were not at all happy with our presence. It’s a great location, but you will never get permission to run any sort of workshop or conduct any “sanctioned” video or photo shoot. Check it out, but be prepared for the very real possibility of being arrested.

Sarah December 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Hi!

I tried going here earlier today and I couldn’t find it! We were like in the middle of the ghetto part of Atlanta and we were on Key st. but didn’t find this prison farm. Any ideas/help???

admin December 16, 2013 at 9:18 am

Look for the intersection of Key Rd. and Fayetteville Rd, and walk about a mile east through the woods from there. It’s a shorter walk if you go in from further north on Key Rd. but you’re more likely to attract attention that way.

Julie Hulten February 10, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Hi,
I am a volunteer with the North Haven (CT) Historical Society, researching a local woman who spent some time as a ‘missionary’ in Atlanta sometime between 1910 and 1919 (most likely early in the decade). She is reported in our documents as having worked among the ‘unfortunate’ [our notes say mostly 'moonshiners'] at a prison called the Tower. She purportedly gave out bibles and other ‘uplifting’ literature, and lead them in prayer and in song. Would you know if there was such a prison in Atlanta – I came across a Fulton Tower that seems to be in the prison system – could that be it? Any help you might be able to provide or steer me in the right direction would be appreciated.
Just additionally, I love the ‘forgotten’ remnants both urban and rural … the tantalizing fragments of people’s lives. Nice!!! Thanks.

Clif Stratton June 7, 2014 at 10:31 pm

These photos are stunning. Do you print and sell them? I would love to buy one for a wedding present. The bride is crime j Ph.D. at Emory and the groom is a native Atlantan. They would dig the historical and local meaning. -Clif

Suri July 28, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I would like to go here, if anyone is interested in going as a group, pls let me know. At least two people.